Debian terminfo's (was Re: xterm/rxvt screen clearing / restoration)

... I wrote:
> >I'm running Debian 2.1, and have an annoying problem with xterm
> >and rxvt where often the screen fails to be restored properly
> >after running vi/vim/elvis/less/anything else which ordinarily
> >restores the terminal screen after exiting.

As per the xterm FAQ, I've tried the XTerm*titeInhibit X resource. This
seems to work around the issue well for xterm. However, rxvt does not
support this feature.

Setting the resource

  XTerm.termName: xterm1         (xterm1 is from the ncurses-term pkg)

seems to work around the problem for both xterm and rxvt. However, you
lose the debian term 'features' (at least Home and End keys, what
else?). ncurses-term has about a bazillion variations on xterm and rxvt,
I've not tried them all.

Given the above, I am led to believe this must be a result of dud Debian
terminfo descriptions? I've just mailed the ncurses-base maintainer,
hopefully he may be able to shed some light...

The xterm FAQ discussion re. termcap/terminfo modifications is unclear
to me (I know next to nothing about terminfo databases), and it seems
the 'untic' program is not present in Debian 2.1. tic is in ncurses-bin,
but I can find no reference to untic. Can tic 'untic' given appropriate
arguments?

Regards,

Ben Low