Re: PAM problems

On Wed, Sep 15, 1999 at 05:01:52PM +0200, lexchive@iname.com wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 1999 at 06:00:17AM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 15, 1999 at 03:25:45PM +0200, lexchive@iname.com wrote:
> > > I have problems with PAM apps since the last upgrade forced them onto my
> > > system.
> > >
> > Hmm...seems like you have basic functionality, just a few nitpicks. The failure
> > notice on login is something I am working on (moving it from the old login to
> > pam_lastlog). As for the log messages, I'll take a look. AFAIK (atleast from
> > what others told me) environment vars are not supposed to have non alpha-numeric
> > characters in the var name itself, it seems that your login service (perhaps ssh
> > or bash) is using them anyway. You can disable the PAM's env parsing by commenting
> > out pam_env.so in /etc/pam.d/login (or any other service that uses it).
> >

> The variables were actually set by pam_env, commenting out the entry caused
> them to stay unset. Trying to remove the non alphanumeric variables (by non
> alphanumeric i mean not even the underscore is allowed, I need some variables
> with underscores in their names though) prevented root to log in. Other user
> accounts were still working right though. For now I put read_env=0 and sticked
> the variables in pam_env.conf.

Damn, the one exception to the rule and it slipped by me :) I will fix this in
another upload.

Ben

 -0000
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 10:00:08 -0700
From: pplaw <pplaw@pcisys.net>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: modem prob: cannot open /dev/tty2...input/output error

debs,

my modem was working fine to dselect (with pon), but after i downloaded
and dpkg'd tons of files, i can no longer pon nor can i wvdial (which
gives the "cannot open /dev/tty2...imput/output error" message).

i installed a new modem, thinking the other was fried, but i still get
the same message.

does anyone have suggestions?

ia,t.

bentley taylor.