.xsession problem with WDM amd/or WindowMaker

I am running Debian 2.1 with all updates (nothing as yet
from the unstable area) and am having this bizarre problem
with my .xsession file.

I am using Wdm 1.0-7 and WindowMaker 0.20.3-5. WindowMaker
has been specified as the default window manager by moving
its entry to the top of the /etc/X11/window-managers file.

When I try and add commands to the .xsession file for either
the root user or the non-privileged user "ssahmed", the x
session for either of those users doesn't start and I am
dumped back into the WDM login screen.

For example, I added the following lines to "ssahmed"'s
.xsession file :

xterm&
xterm&

Login failed and I was dumped back into the WDM screen. Here
is what the ~ssahmed/.xsession-errors file had to say :

Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: :0
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: :0

The only modification I have made to WDM's config is
the following line from /etc/X11/wdm/wdm-config :

DisplayManager._0.authorize:    false

Can someone please explain to me how to start up X clients
from my .xsession file ?

Do I have to start up WindowMaker from my .xsession file (as
I do for RedHat) or is it enough to rely on
/etc/X11/window-managers ?

Thanks.

--
Salman Ahmed