Re: plip problems ahoy

On Mon, Sep 20, 1999 at 01:04:00PM +1000, Matthew Dalton wrote:
> Hi there,
> I've been trying to install Debian 2.1 on my
> laptop, which has no cdrom or network card. Debian's base system was
> easy to install (using floppies). I've been trying to set up a PLIP
> link, so I can ftp the rest of the system over.
>
> My setup is unusual:
>
> +---------------+
> | laptop: comet |
> +---------------+
>        |  192.168.2.2 (plip1)
>  laplink cable
>        |  192.168.2.1 (plip0)
> +----------------------+
> | headless box: saturn |
> +----------------------+
>                 |  192.168.1.1 (eth0)
>             ethernet
>                 |  192.168.1.13 (eth0)
>    +----------------+
>    | desktop: earth |
>    +----------------+
>

> comet is running Debian 2.1 (kernel 2.0.36, glibc 2.0.7)
> saturn is running RH5.2 (kernel 2.2.10, glibc 2.0.7)
> earth is running RH5.2 (kernel 2.2.6, glibc 2.0.7)
>
> Earth is the only computer which has a cdrom drive. I wish to connect
> comet to saturn though, because PLIP requires that IP forwarding be
> enabled in the kernel (according to the PLIP mini-HOWTO... is it
> correct?).

I know almost nothing about PLIP, so I can't tell you if it's required, but
if it is similar to PPP, then it isn't if you just want to connect _two_
boxes with a cable. However, your situation requires IP forwarding simply
beacause you have to forward packets from earth to comet. It would be
necessary in any case provided earth and comet don't have a direct link.

> Saturn also acts as a gateway for IP-Masqerading, and so
> already has support for IP forwarding. I don't want to compile support

I think that's the point. If I were you, I would check if earth isn't
masqeraded, because the symptoms are like it is. However I'm not sure
because you have provided no informaion about your other boxes, other
saturn's interfaces and the masquerading setup???!

Please do so that we can say something more.

Marcin

--

Marcin Owsiany