Re: To the Debian Project, IMHO [long]

>>>>> "Paul" == Paul McHale <pmchale@doubleesolutions.com> writes:

Paul> I also agree we need configuration GUIs in Linux.  If you still
Paul> enjoy the endless research to execute a simple command, by all
Paul> means don't use the GUI.  There are many times when I need a
Paul> administrative task done more than I need to be doing it!  I say
Paul> endless for one reason.  If it is so non-intuitive you need to
Paul> go through 5 pages of help, you'll probably forget it in short
Paul> order.  Next time you'll be looking it up again.

The word "intuitive" applied to computers is an Orwellism.  You are
NOT born with innate knowledge of menus and mouseclicks, this way or
that.  What you really mean when you say "intuitive" is "familiar".
You have used some kind of interface before and naturally find it
easier to learn other interfaces if they are similar to the one you
know.  Now there may be many people who know the same interface you
do.  They may even be the majority of computer users.  So what?  That
still doesn't make the interface superior.

Paul> Point is, if you want the marketplace, you better go after the
Paul> market people.  The market people want windows offers.  This is
Paul> not by mistake.  Microsoft has invested major $$$ in searching
Paul> for what users want.

Wrong, or at least just a small part of the truth.  Microsoft has
invested even more major $$$ in persuading people that they wanted
what Microsoft had to offer.  THAT is what 90% of marketing is
concerned with today, and that is why I want no part of it.

And the "people" we're talking about are not the end users.  The end
users didn't invent the (deplorable) "I just want my job done and want
to know nothing about my tools".  It is the MANAGERS that like people
working like robots.

Paul> Time and time again the best argument for Linux is stability.

MY major argument for Linux (Unix in general) and against NT is
CONTROL vs. the lack of it.  If you don't know what I mean I'll
explain privately.

Paul> To continue to grow, it must start capturing people who are less
Paul> interested in how it works and more interested in what is can do
Paul> for them.

What IS this general obsession with growth?  How dirty, smoggy,
stinking must our cities get before we all understand that there are
limits to technology?  Why does everybody equate bigger == better?

--
Ian Zimmerman
Lightbinders, Inc.