garbled characters in vim

Hi all,

I am trying to get swedish characters to work properly on my debian box.
I have it working perfectly in rxvt and in vim (if I start it from
inside mutt, as now when I am composing this).

BUT!
If I start vim from an ordinary rxvt shell It displays escape sequences
å is \xe5
ä is \xe4
ö is \xf6
some other strange chars
´ is \xb4
¤ is \xa4
£ is \xa3

all other characters work. I hope the above is readable!

Also inside Mutt when I read mail all those chars are displayed as "?" signs.
But if I cat the mail in /var/spool/mail/xxxx it shows those chars correctly.

So might this be 2 separate problems or are they connected ?

I have been messing around with all sorts of things concerning language support
and I am a bit lost so If someone could set me on the correct path I would
be very grateful.

$: env
LANG=C
LESSCHARSET=latin1

$: cat .inputrc
set meta-flag on
set output-meta on
set convert-meta off

$: XF86Config

Section "Keyboard"
   Protocol        "Standard"
   AutoRepeat      500 5
   XkbKeycodes     "xfree86"
   XkbTypes        "default"
   XkbCompat       "default"
   XkbSymbols      "en_US(pc105)+se"
   XkbGeometry     "pc"
EndSection

$: /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
setenv LANG C
setenv LC_CTYPE iso_8859_1

Hmm echo $LC_CTYPE isn't showing anything.

Thats what I can think of information vise. I also did som changes to locales
but I don't think anything really happened there. Tried to follow a red-hat
howto but couldn't find /usr/lib/kbd/keytables/ .