Re: .bashrc doesn't work?

> Hello all,
>
> I am having a problem with users .bashrc, roots works fine AFAIK, but all the user ones do nothing. No matter what I put
> in them it doesn't work. For example in my .bashrc I have the line "l='ls --color=auto -als'" but typing 'l' does
> nothing... Also /etc/skel/.aliases also doesn't work, same thing.

Not sure whether you already know this, but ~/.bashrc is for interactive
shell, not for login shell, ie. when you login the config file read is
~/.bash_profile or /etc/profile

To start your interactive shell type:

$ bash

Else, have those aliases defined in a file called .bash_aliases in your home
dir, and then source that file in your ~/.bash_profile (config file for
login shell) with this line:

source $HOME/.bash_aliases

The skeleton files, I think, are the ones used for creating new
accounts.  That means when a new user is created, his/her home dir won't
be empty, but filled with files drawn from /etc/skel/

Regards,

---fin de respuesta a <19990921194209.1881.qmail@murphy.debian.org>---

--
Horacio