Re: rm strange file/device

    Daniel> I found the following file:

    Daniel> c---rw---x 1 8240 12641 105, 101 Jul 22 2034
    Daniel> cache36876DC80351532.class

    Daniel> I do not know how to get rid of it.
    Daniel> I have no idea how this file was created.

Looks like the inode is corrupted, and in addition to having a weird
mode, uid, gid, and date, the immutable bit is set (the reason you
can't delete it). Have you run fsck on that file system recently?
(Ever?) It might think that inode is funky enough to ask you if you
want to delete it. If not,

        chattr -i cache36876DC80351532.class

should turn off the immutable bit so you can remove it.

But you should really check your file systems. This file is a Very Bad
Thing, and it might have friends.
--
I get my monkeys for nothing and my chimps for free.
http://www.clark.net/pub/hermit/