Re: xfree86 3.3.5 in debian

> Phil Brutsche wrote:
> >
> > It looks suspiciously like you're missing the file .xinitrc in your home
> > directory.  That's what tells X11 what window manager to use, and so on.
> >
> I am in that position and the message is that it cant find an .Xsession
> file in the user home directory.  I've not neither a .Xsession nor
> .xinitrc file.  I'd like to use Enlightenment as the wm and it didn't
> seem to install one.  Do any of the wm's make one?  Where can I get a
> sample of either?

This is a copy of my .xinitrc:

#!/bin/sh
xmodmap -e "keycode 22 = BackSpace"
xset +fp unix/:7100
xset fp rehash
xset s off
wmaker

This same file will work just fine as a .Xsession.  However, it needs the
execute bits set for it to work as a .Xsession.

This is what each command does:
1) Sets the keyboard mapping for the backspace key to behave like the
   backspace key and not the delete key
2 & 3) Adds a font server on my computer to the font path so I can use
   truetype fonts
4) Turns off the built-in screen blanker so that I can use xscreensaver or
   one of the KDE screen savers
5) Runs the WindowMaker window manager

It's been my experience that the .xinitrc file is not automatically made -
you need to write it yourself.

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch@creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstien