Re: About mountd

On Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 08:07:33PM +0200, Manuel Arenaz Silva wrote:

> Right now, when I want to read the contents of a CD or a floppy I have
> to mount the corresponding directory (/cdrom in my machine) manually. I
> would like the system to configure the mount point automatically when I
> try to read or write the contents of that directory.

> I have scanned the file /etc/inetd.conf and I have found the following
> entry:

> #mountd/1       dgram   rpc/udp wait    root    /usr/sbin/tcpd
> /usr/sbin/rpc.mountd

<snip>

> As in the case of "telnetd" I have looked for the package "mountd" in
> the CDs of the distribution, but <<surprisingly>> there was not any
> package with that name.

Programs don't always appear a package of the same name.  They may be
part of a large collection of programs or perhaps are commonly know by a
name other than the name of the binary (eg, the named program is
provided in the bind package).

> My questions are:
> * What do I need?

I believe amd can do this, and ISTR there is something out there called
supermount.  I've never done this myself, though.

> * What about the daemon "mountd"?

mountd is part of an NFS server, and doesn't do what you want.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/