Re: direct-pc

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, Phil Brutsche wrote:

> A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far way, someone said...
>
> > Has anyone tried using direct-pc with Linux?
> > (thats the satellite inter-net connection. see
> > http://www.pdmnet.com/direcpdm.htm)  They say you need
> > windows 95 (but so do alot of isp's that work with
> > linux)  I can't get cable modem, or asdl where I live,
> > and this service is in the same price ballpark as isdn
> > but MUCH faster!

> It's hard to say if it'll work with Linux.  The adapter card could
> easily be something that Linux doesn't support.  That would
> explain why they say 'No Macintosh'.

Phil

It would seem there is a software problem for a Macintosh, as it
cannot run x86 binaries, as well as for Linux, since Linux ppp is
going to be very different from Windows 95's ppp.

I don't think the card will be supported by Linux at all unless
someone writes a driver. Maybe we could write a such a driver It
seems to me that the driver must make the ppp daemon expect
downloaded packets to come from the DirectPC card, rather than from
the modem, and decode these packets, while sending upload packets to
the modem.

How hard can that be? Estimates I hear vary from 'hard' to "I don't
want to." What do we need to know to do that besides register
addresses on the card and any required initialization data for the
card.  Some PnP data would help. (Then maybe some brute cleverness
would help a lot ...;)

--David
David Teague,  dbt@cs.wcu.edu
Debian GNU/Linux Because software support is free, timely,
                 useful, technically accurate, and friendly.
                 (I'm hoping this is all of the above!)