Re: [DISASTER] Latest update broke my system entirely

*- On 27 Sep, Jonas Steverud wrote about "Re: [DISASTER] Latest update broke my system entirely"
> Seth R Arnold <sarnold@willamette.edu> writes:
>
>> Jonas, what happens if you leave off the root= bit?
>>
>> I am getting at, boot using nothing but the rescue disk. It ought to be
>> enough to get you to a prompt, from there you can mount /mnt /dev/hda7 and
>> play around with things in there....
>
> resuce root=/dev/hda7
> resuce root=/dev/hda7 init=/bin/sh
> resuce init=/bin/sh
> rescue
>
> all fail since it can't mount the root fs. Depending on exact
> paramters they either fail with an errormessage or just hangs after
> "VFS: Mount root fs read only" (or whatever the message is).

Boot the rescue disk.  At the boot: prompt just hit the return key and
wait for the color/mono selection key.  Then hit Alt-F2 to get to vt2.
Hit return to get a root prompt of the rescue disk rom image.  Now you
can mount your existing partition to see what has gone wrong.

--
Brian