Gnome-print / Gnumeric

This is something which seems to have been broken for a while now.
In potato, when trying to start up gnumeric it complain about not being
able to find a suitable start up font, and to check the gnome-print
installation. OK.  So I look at gnome-print and attempt to figure
out how to get it to set up a non-empty /usr/share/fonts/fontmap
file.  There are no docs to speak of and even the web page is
no help: http://www.levien.com/gnome/font-install.html

Has anyone managed to get gnumeric + gnome-print working at all?

--
|               John P. May               |      I haven't lost my mind;      |