Disk space not seen

As a new user of Linux it took me four times to get it installed on my old machine, the last time I had to take apart my PC to resolve a minor cable problem that Windows 95 had no problem with. I read for a full week the documentation provided on the Debian web site before I attempted to install Debian.

My problem now is that Debian does not see all of the hard drive space available to it. Here is how I have partioned two hard drives the first a little over 400 meg the second
a little over 500 meg.

	hda1 	/		50   meg
	hda5	/home		25   meg
	hda6	/usr/lib		200 meg
	hda7	/usr/games	130 meg

	hdb1	/usr		428 meg
	hdb2	swap		   72 meg

This is an old 100 mez 486 with 24 meg of ram. This is a system I built piece by piece and want to continue to use. My last system I bought the latest and greatest at the time but now am disabled and cannot afford to buy another new machine. I have some experence as a user with UNIX both on a PC and mainframes so I choose Linux to allow me to keep using my old machine.

Debian shows the total space available for /usr as the 428 meg on hdb1. It does not count the 200 meg under ./usr/lib on hda6 or the 130 meg under /usr/games on hda7. I selected the Desktop machine before dselect but it would not install the last few megs because dselect said I was out of room even though I had created these extra partitions to give myself plenty of room. I dslected some of the optional packages and finally got it to load out.

I wish to use the X window system and don't know if just the standard X packages will allow me to use it. Plus is there any way to make dselect to see this extra space?

Thanks to all you take their valuable time to help this newbe!