Re: dhcpcd error "sendto (init): Operation not permitted"

At 10:14 AM 9/27/99 -0700, you wrote:
> The only other thing I can think of is try to upgrade my kernel to 2.2.x,
> but that brings in some other problems, and I am totally unsure if it will
> work.

I can think of one other.. firewalling.

(I know potato installs some filters by default, but don't know if slink
does and if they will show the above behavior.)

I do know that the 'Operation not permitted' is a sign of improper
permission... and not even root is allowed to violate ipfwadm or
ipchains rules.

Try flushing the output rules.

Brian, thanks for this suggestion. This was exactly the problem. The ipmasq package has some defaults that don't seem to comply with dhcpcd (check out this excerpt):

---
# ipmasq -d

/sbin/ipfwadm -I -p deny
/sbin/ipfwadm -O -p deny
/sbin/ipfwadm -F -p deny
/sbin/ipfwadm -I -f
/sbin/ipfwadm -O -f
/sbin/ipfwadm -F -f
---

With the following rules changes, I was able to successfully get an IP. I need to run tcpdump and take a look at where the packets are actually going so I can setup better rules though.

---
ipfwadm -O -p accept
ipfwadm -I -p accept
---

Thanks to everyone for suggestions.

On another note, has anyone been able to decipher the stuff in /etc/ipmasq/rules? It seems complex enough to be more annoying than useful.