Newbie to RAID

Hi i am a newbie to Debian and to RAID. I have a Compaq Proliant with
Compaq SMART2 Array controller. We have RedHat running on it, but we want
to install Debian. I have been working on intalling Debian for a week now
with little success. I first tried using the boot/root floppy, which
booted, but would not recognize any hard drives to partition. So I decided
to make my own boot disk with support for the SMART2 controller in the
kernel. After getting that to boot I still have the same problem. Can
anybody please send me in the right direction?

Thanks Evan