Re: Best Solution for PPP?

Where exactly do those options go?  Putting the line
demand idle 600 holdoff 5
along with a dummy set of IP addresses into my /etc/ppp/peers/provider
file never got my modem to dial.  I tried ping, traceroute, telnet and
connecting to a website with lynx - all with no success.  Dialing
manually works just fine - as long as the demand line is not in there -
so I know that part of it works.  The system is recently (3 or 4 days
ago, IIRC) upgraded to potato and kernel 2.2.12  with ppp support in the
kernel - not a module - with ppp version 2.3.7

My /etc/ppp/peers/provider file:
xanadu:/etc/ppp/peers# cat provider
# This file was generated by pppconfig.  You can edit the following
lines
# but please do not delete lines or the change the comments or you will
# confuse pppconfig.
noauth         #pppconfig_noauth
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/provider"
#pppconfig_connect
debug          #pppconfig_debug
/dev/ttyS0       #pppconfig_dev
115200      #pppconfig_speed
defaultroute         #pppconfig_route
noipdefault     #pppconfig_ipdefault
user ELN/werner1  #pppconfig_user
# End of pppconfig controlled lines.  You can add lines below here
without
# confusing pppconfig.
xanadu:/etc/ppp/peers#

Does the demand line have to go on a particular line?  I'm wanting to
get this working, as the box in question is going to become the gateway
for the house.

Thanks
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD           |  "Where do you want to go today?"
ICQ# 12934898                 |  "As far from Redmond as possible!"