Re: trivial egcc question...

On Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 05:29:00PM -0400, Jonathan Lupa wrote:

> Is there a way to set an environment variable with the args I want for the
> egcc line?

The traditional approach is to use a Makefile.  However...

> For example, I like STL, and am always typing `egcc -Wall -lstdc++ foo.cpp`.
> It seems to me (from my DOS experience <g>) that I should be able to do
> something like:

> bash:~>$ export cl=-Wall -lstdc++
> bash:~>$ egcc foo.cpp

The command "g++" (also known as "c++") exists to do exactly this job -
it will do all the magic required to link C++ code.  There's also a
command "g77" for Fortran 77 and so on for the other languages gcc
supports.  Any gcc command will compile any supported language: one of
the main reasons for having these front ends is that they do things like
linking in required libraries.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/