RE: make-kpkg and apt-get updates

*- On  3 Oct, peter karlsson wrote about "RE: make-kpkg and apt-get updates"
>> kernel-package is the way to go.  Name your revisions like
>> <hostname>.<kernel-version>-<pkg-version>, and you'll not have problems
>> (I haven't, anyway :)
>
> One problem is how do I have several compilations of the same kernel version
> installed? Right now, I have two 2.2.12 compilations installed, for
> instance. How do I do that with make-kpkg?

make-kpkg clean
make-kpkg --revision=custom.1 .......
make [x|menu]config
make-kpkg clean
make-kpkg --revision=custom.2 .......

But then you will have problems in /lib/modules since they both install
a 2.2.12 directory.

There is also the flavour option, the man for make-kpkg says you need a
patched kernel but I think the 2.2.x series of kernels does not require
it.

make-kpkg clean
make-kpkg --revision=custom.1 --flavour=-allmod .......
make [x|menu]config
make-kpkg clean
make-kpkg --revision=custom.2 --flavour=-nomod  .......

Then the modules will be put in /lib/modules/2.2.12-allmod and
2.2.12-nomod respectively and the kernel will know which dir to look in.

Note that the - is necessary in the flavour field or else you will get
2.2.12allmod.

--
Brian Servis
Mechanical Engineering              |  Never criticize anybody until you