Re: Eureka--LyX 1.0.4 on Slink

On Sun, 3 Oct 1999 longship@keyway.net wrote:

> Here's how to get the latest Lyx running with Slink.

There is an easier way. Download the source files from the unstable
distribution--find them using the packages search available at
www.debian.org; search for 'lyx' in the unstable tree. Then, use
dpkg-source -x *.dsc to unpack the source.

Next, go into the debianized source tree, edit debian/changelog to change
the version number to something like 1.0.4-1.slink. Run  'debian/rules
binary' as root and you will have a .deb file to install. You definitely
need many of the packages listed below, but the sgml packages are probably
not needed unless you require sgml support in lyx.

Note that I already did all of this for 1.0.2, 1.0.3, and last night for
1.0.4. If you do it my way, you have a debianized lyx that can be easily
replaced later using dpkg.

Cheers.

> 1. Download LyX 1.0.4 source tarball via link on http://www.lyx.org/
>
> 2. Make sure that the following are installed from the Stable
>    (Slink) directories.
>
>    All sgml components.  I included the following:
>      debiandoc-sgml
>      perlsgml
>      psgml
>      sgml-base  **Needed**
>      sgml-data  **Needed**
>      sgml-tools **Needed**
>      sgmlspm
>      sp
>
>    TeTeX and LaTeX
>      tetex-base  **Needed**
>      tetex-bin   **Needed**
>      tetex-nonfree **Desireable**
>      tetex-extra   **Desireable**
>
>     libXpm components
>       xpm-bin
>       xpm4g
>       xpm4g-dev
>
>     Xforms
>       libforms0.88
>       libforms-bin
>       libforms-dev
>
> 3. Extract the lyx tarball into a directory
> (I alwasys yse /usr/local/src)
> cd to the Lyx directory (lyx-1.0.4).
>
> 4. Type:
>
>    ./configure
>    make
>    make install
>

> That's it.  Lyx is installed
> Now all you do is add it to your favorite window manager's menu.
>
> Good luck and enjoy.
>
> Regards,
>
> Arne
> longship@keyway.net