Re: Samba: When does smb.conf get read?

*- On  6 Oct, Kent West wrote about "Samba: When does smb.conf get read?"
> Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places, but I can't find the
> answer in any of the docs/web sites.
>
> I've installed Samba, and left the workgroup=workgroup. Accordingly,
> when I started browsing for my Debian box via Windows' Network
> Neighboorhood, I found it in the "Workgroup" workgroup. Wanting to
> change that, I found in the docs that I simply needed to change the
> "workgroup=" line to whatever workgroup I wanted to be in.

[snip]

> Surely I don't need to reboot?! Surely I'm just missing something basic?
> So my two questions are:

Reboots are only necessary for kernel upgrades.  There other isolated
incidents but they are special cases.

> 1) Whenever I make a change to /etc/samba/smb.conf, what do I have to do
> to make the change active? In other words, what does it take to get the
> system to reread smb.conf?

[snip]

> Actually, one more question: where in the documentation might I have
> found these answers?

man smbd

SIGNALS
       Sending the smbd a SIGHUP will cause  it  to  re-load  its
       smb.conf configuration file within a short period of time.

i.e.

kill -HUP `pidof smbd`

Brian Servis
Mechanical Engineering              |  Never criticize anybody until you
Purdue University                   |  have walked a mile in their shoes,
servis@purdue.edu                   |  because by that time you will be a
http://www.ecn.purdue.edu/~servis   |  mile away and have their shoes.