Re: potato: procps and bsdutils conflict?

On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, David Coe wrote:

> Hwei Sheng TEOH <hsteoh@cs.toronto.edu> writes:
>
> [...]
> > dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/bsdutils_1%3a2.9w-3.1_i386.deb
> > (--unpack):
> >  trying to overwrite `/bin/kill', which is also in package procps
> [...]
> > However, I was just wondering, is it really the case that both bsdutils and
> > procps contains the program /bin/kill? Are they the same, or are they
> > different versions? Is the alternatives mechanisms in place for /bin/kill?
> > Apparently there's some problem with both packages containing the same file?
>
> There's been discussion about this recently on debian-devel.  IIRC,
> the bsdutils version of kill is not linux-specific, but is not
> well-supported upstream, the util-linux version is well-supported
> upstream but doesn't work on non-linux debian systems (e.g. the Hurd).
> The respective maintainers will presumably work out a solution that
> works "best" for everyone.
>
> (Note that this problem only affects unstable/potato).
>
> You did the right thing by forcing one of them; at the moment it
> doesn't appear to matter much which one you let override the other.

Hmmm, only one combination seems to work though... installing procps first
will cause dpkg to complain when bsdutils is being installed. For some reason,
installing procps on top of bsdutils seem to simply overwrite /bin/kill with
no warning. I'm not sure how good this situation is, but I suppose both
versions of /bin/kill does the same thing. (It doesn't really affect me
because I use tcsh and it has a built-in kill command.).