Re: Three questions

brian.ross@anu.edu.au wrote:

> I was under the _impression_ that people in the Linux community were
> supposed to be helpful.  Obviously I was mistaken.

Sorry to be blunt, but you're acting like the Linux community owes you
something. Everyone here is a volunteer in one way or another.
Occasionally I answer questions. I'm not being paid for it, it's just
something I like doing - to try to improve people's experiences with
linux.

In return, you should either be thankful, or not say anything at all. My
mother always said: "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything
at all". This is especially true for the debian-user list, as we are all
volunteering our services.

> I asked some very specific questions, I hoped to get some helpful
> answers.  Obviously I was mistaken to even bother if I was to simply be
> directed to a Howto file.

What makes this answer unhelpful? I have found the Howtos to be a most
valuable source of information, even when I first started learning linux
(no previous unix experience).

> The poor quality of documentation, such as these "how tos" is one of the
> reasons why I recommend when ever I am asked whether a site should move
> to linux to recommend that they don't.  They are far better off with a
> proprietory WELL SUPPORTED form of unix, even if it costs considerably
> more.  That way they won't get a smart arse answer like this when they
> ask a direct question.

The Howtos are also created by volunteers. If you think that they do not
cover what you think they should cover, you should contact the author
and tell them nicely about what you expect to see there.

> I don't want a long, indepth, very indirect discussion of how to manage
> a network or ethernet connect.  I want clear, distinct EXAMPLES.

As it happens, the ethernet howto (which you have already been directed
to) contains exactly that:

http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/Ethernet-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.2

> Now, little boy, pull your socks up.  If you're not willing to help then
> it might be better for you to remain silent, rather than remove any
> doubt in my mind that you're a fool.

Comments such as this can never amount to anything but hostility.

> > Take a look at the Ethernet and NETWORK HOWTOs.

You really should. Others have already done what you are trying to do.
One of them decided to write a document describing what he did, so that
others may do it too. If you don't understand it, you can always ask
here for further explanation.

> > > I have a system on which I've just installed debian.  It has two network
> > > cards but during setup only one was recognised.  I need to know how to:
> > >
> > > 1) Make the system recognise the other network card.  Is there a utility
> > > which probes the card and determines what type it is and (hopefully)
> > > installs the correct driver for it?

This was answered in one of the other replies.

> > > 2) Make the system utilise the other network card.

This is in the ethernet howto.

> > > 3) How do I assign a seperate IP number, gateway, etc. to it?

This is in the network howto.

http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/NET3-4-HOWTO-5.html#ss5.4

Matthew