CDROM worked once (surprise) can't get it to work again!

Hello,

A few minutes ago, I happened to boot up linux with my
H45 quickcd attached (pcmcia) to my IBM Thinkpad 560.  I
was surprised to see the /dev/hdc show up using IRQ3 as
attempts in the past never worked.  It appears that the CDROM
takes a second or two to spin up, and something times out before
it is recognized.  This time however I was able to mount /dev/hdc
as /mnt and even use deselect to install some files from the
Debian 2.1 CD!

I have combed the CDROM howto, but can't find anything pertaining
to adding a command somewhere to increase the timeout(s) during
bootup.

Does anyone know how to do this?

I was REALLY AMAZED that this worked, and I have booted several
times since tonight and it just fails over and over again.
I think the timeout is just a wee bit to short.  Again this is
a PCMCIA-based H45 "QuickCD".  I believe I am running with the
vanilla 2.0.36 kernel, but I can doublecheck if needed.

Many thanks for any info on this timeout issue...

John