Re: unmount a automounted CD ROM?

*- On  8 Oct, Debian Mail wrote about "unmount a automounted CD ROM?"
> I use Debian with kernel 2.2.x and autofs to automount CD ROMs. What
> are the ways to allow a user to unmount and eject the CD ROM without
> having to wait until automount has timed out after five
> minutes. Probably adding option user to /etc/fstab should do the
> trick.
> Or is there a better solution?
>
> Stef

Exactly,  just add an entry to /etc/fstab that fits your automounted
autofs setup and add the user option.  This is my setup for my cd.

My auto.rmd map file entry
z       -fstype=iso9660,ro,uid=0,gid=35 :/dev/hdd

My fstab entry
/dev/hdd              /rmd/z    iso9660 noauto,user,ro,uid=0,gid=35

A question for you.  Are you setting timeouts in the auto.master file
being?  I am having problems getting them to work, even though they were
being processed correctly by the starup scripts.  I filed a bug against
autofs and the maintainer acknowledged the problem and was able to
reproduce it.  For now I just have a cron job run every few minuts that
sends a USR1 kill signal to the automount processes.

--
Brian Servis
Mechanical Engineering              |  Never criticize anybody until you