Re: booting from SCSI

On Fri, Oct 15, 1999 at 11:30:31PM +0200, Pierfrancesco Caci wrote:

> Is there a way to boot off a SCSI disk (/dev/sda2 is my root
> partition) if there is also an IDE disk (/dev/hda[1-5] are present) ?
>
> The ide disk does not have bootable partitions but it has lilo on it
> because I can't get the system to boot off the scsi disk directly.
>
> Also, inserting/removing an IDE removable hd confuses LILO.
>
> What can I do ?

You will have to convince LILO of it.

>From my lilo.conf (which does much the same thing... the IDE drive is
for mp3s and my archived debs):

| disk = /dev/sda
|  bios = 0x80

Basically, the BIOS numbers drives starting at 0x80 (and perhaps only
supporting that one -- depends on the bios), and traditionally the 0x80
is the first IDE drive... but with scsi it gets more complex since the
SCSI BIOS remaps stuff around, so LILO gets it wrong unless you tell
it specifically to use drive 0x80.

--
Brian Moore                       | Of course vi is God's editor.
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     | If He used Emacs, He'd still be waiting