Re: Disk partiotioning advice

On Tue, 9 Nov 1999, aphro wrote:

[ snip ]

 : michf >If not, how do I mount a windows partiton with write permision to regular
 : michf >users? (or a specific user), and is it posible to use a windows partition
 : michf >as the home directory for a user?
 :
 : you can, but i dont reccomend it. File permissions are not available on
 : FAT16/FAT32 file systems. so you'd have no security, anyone could
 : read/write/delete anything.  you could use the UMSDOS file system, which
 : would give experimental support for permissions on a FAT16/32 drive but i
 : wouldnt reccomend that either.

Hmm.  You can mount a FAT partition so that read and write permissions
are limited by user or group.  Check out the gid and uid options under
the FAT section of the mount manpage.

I used to mount my second VFAT partition under my home dir this way; no
one else could access it (other than root).  If you're willing to give
up symlinks and the ability to _change_ permissions within that
partition, it works well.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD