Re: Problems printing from one box to another

On 5 Nov 1999, Alec Smith wrote:

> In the past I've been able to print from one Debian 2.1 box to another
> Debian 2.1 box without difficulty. However I recently reinstalled
> Debian 2.1 on the server machine, and can't do any printing from
> remote machines unless I'm using Samba. I'd like to know what's going on
> so I can get back to a "normal" configuration involving just lpr/lpd.

I've exactly the same problem and I am quite deseperated.

Only users who have an account on the debian machine hosting the printer
can print on it. I've checked that the host wanting to print are
correctly listed in /etc/hosts.equiv and /etc/hosts.lpd

Those files should only contains a list of all hosts wanting to print,
one oht per line, isn't it ???

My /etc/printcap entry is the following on the machine hosting the
printer:
lp|lw_pro_ar3|lp2|PS_600dpi-a4-auto-mono|PS_600dpi auto mono:\
        :lp=/dev/lp1:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/PS_600dpi-a4-auto-mono:\
        :lf=/var/spool/lpd/PS_600dpi-a4-auto-mono/log:\
        :af=/var/spool/lpd/PS_600dpi-a4-auto-mono/acct:\
        :if=/usr/lib/apsfilter/filter/aps-PS_600dpi-a4-auto-mono:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:

And on the user's machine:
lp|PS_600dpi|0:\
        :lp=:\
        :rm=The.remote.machine:\
        :rp=lp:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:

I don't want to make an account for the 100 persons wanting to print on
this printer.

Everythhings works fine from NT/W95 and macOS machines with Samba and netatalk.

Cécile Hébert Souche
http://cybele.mssmat.ecp.fr/whoswho/perso/CSouche/CSouche.html