Re: apt-get

On Sat, 13 Nov 1999, J Horacio MG wrote:

> And just how does apt (or apt-get) work for upgrading from slink to
> potato? (I'm not trying to be lazy here, I do read the manual pages for
> apt-get and sources.list, but I'd like to get some help from someone who
> has already experienced it ... BTW, should there be an apt command and
> an apt manpage?  I just have apt-get and apt-cache).

To the later question: the most recent apt package under potato contains
the following binaries manpages:

/usr/bin/apt-cache
/usr/bin/apt-cdrom
/usr/bin/apt-config
/usr/bin/apt-get
/usr/share/man/man8/apt-get.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/apt-cdrom.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/apt-config.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/apt.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/apt-cache.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man5/apt.conf.5.gz
/usr/share/man/man5/sources.list.5.gz

To the first part of the question:

Change stable to unstable or potato in the /etc/apt/sources.list, which
makes apt-get aware of the newer packages...

> [...]
>
> Dependencies, pre-dependencies, and interdependencies are just a bit too
> hard to deal with for a major upgrade, so I'd like to give apt a try, at
> least for a partial upgrade (a total upgrade is just too expensive
> except for USers).  I attach a file with the packages I want to upgrade
> (based on my previous attempt);  could anyone tell me how to do this
> with apt or apt-get?

The following should work:

	apt-get update
	apt-get install package1 package2 package3 ...

apt-get should only upgrade the packages needed to install package1,
package2 and so on and keep the other back.

Martin

- --
If Windows is the answer, can we please have the problem back?

For public PGP-key: finger mfluch@mathphys.fsk.uni-heidelberg.de