Linux as a router

Hi,

I have an Intel/486 and want to set it up as a router.
I have installed the base slink system on it, but I'm still having
problem with the NE2K network card; the module for it can't be loaded.
But since Satan is not available for slink and the system is currently
non functional (nowadays, if your computer can't connect to a network,
basically it's not a computer), I'm going to install potato on it. (the
download is currently in progress)

Well, having a router with a network analyzer on board is slightly
overboard. But the aim is for testing, and I think the 800M space on its
disk can be made useful.

BTW, is anyone already familiar with Satan? Does it need an enormous
memory to do the scans? My machine has 8M of RAM. I need to scan only
one system; the Sparc that has slink on it. I'd like to know whether I
have set up the security settings of the system correctly.

Speaking about routers, could a Linux system be set as an SNMP device? I
read about "snmp" package in www.debian.org; does it the right package
for converting a PC to an SNMP device?

Thanks in advance,
Oki