Re: /dev/console

OK, thanks guys, I got it working.  Yes I had been restarting syslogd...
but it was actually my testing methods which were flawed. ;P

I thought that if I echoed something directly to /dev/console it should
work, but apparently that isn't the case.  I had been using "logger" as
you suggested with the symlink (before making the console device) which
produced no output, so I didn't bother trying it when I did have the real
device (5,1).

Using logger with the console device does work.  THanks to all for the
help.