Re: Printing- LPRng, lpd?

Antonio Rodriguez wrote:

> I am trying to enable printing from my slink. Following the instructions
> in Printing-HOW-TO i have searched for LPRng and lpd, but it answers:
> command not found.
> I did lpr primo (short text file). It blinked back and forth, but no
> spit from the printer (HP Deskjet 540)
> I did apt-get update and says that 0 packages available.
> Are we (Debian users) doing something different? Would you please point
> into right direction?

Hi Antonio,

Have you created an /etc/printcap file? You can use
magicfilterconfig --force to do so. It'll ask you some questions
about your printer and restart lpd.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the lprng package is installed
automatically for you.

Also, are you doing this as root or as a normal user? You need to be
root.

As for not being able to find them, I don't think lprng (or LPRng)
is a user program, and lpd in located in /usr/sbin so unless you're
root, you can't run it.

Try magicfilterconfig --force and see if that helps you out.
--
                                      __   _
Mark Wagnon       (  Debian GNU/ -o) / /  (_)__  __ ____  __