Re: How to savely copy a disk? (a bit off topic)

On Sun, Nov 21, 1999 at 08:10:30PM +0100, Francis Pirotton wrote:
> For the win95 partition :.
>
> 1 - Create another primary partition.
>       I have already tried to do it with the fdisk of linux but I had messages like
> "partition table corrupted"

Hi, just a word about this kind of error and partitionning:

Not so long ago, I installed a 17.2 GB HD; I decided to
partition it in 4 (at this time, it was completely under w98$)
I made a primary partitition # 6 GB, I made 2 logicals # 4GB
(for some reasons I wanted exactly the same size for these),
and another logical for the rest (# 2.5GB)
WITH the w$ fdisk.

It sounds Ok, so I worked a bit, then some errors and I was
obliged to reset; at the next boot, scandisk said to me that
disk F: xas corrupted, but wasn't able to fix it; so I entered
fdisk (w$) and made a simple addition: the total number of KB
assigned to partitions was 7KB MORE than the total fo the HD!

And When I tryied with the Linux fdisk, I had the error "partition
table corrupted".

The only manner to recover from that was to re-partition from Linux.

So, w$ fdisk is a sh*t because it don't cut partitions where they
must be, and because it don't even know how to add numbers...

JY
--
Jean-Yves F. Barbier <jybarbier@wanadoo.fr>
 You will have many recoverable tape errors.