Symlinked manpages

   Date: Sat, 5 Aug 1995 12:14:55 +0000
   From: Alvar Bray <alvar@meiko.co.uk>
   Cc: birkholz@primenet.com, david@rem.ods.com

   [...]
      Easiest would be to just try it yourself and pleasantly find that the
      current man package (2.3.7-4) already handles symlinks appropriately
      -- only one catpage is generated and all entries are kept in the index.

   David is indeed correct.
   [...]

Apparently, the answer to my original question:

   What is wrong with man that it cannot share preformatted manpages between
   symlinked source manpages?

is that *nothing* is wrong with man.  The latest version already works that
way.

I *am* suitably chastised.  :-(I promise the list to be extra careful of
suggestions made by... darn, I lost the name of the yahoo who started this
thread.)

   Is this what people are wanting man to do or am I confused?

The originator of this thread was asking package maintainers to create
manpage files containing the ".so" directive, rather than use symlinks.  I
guess everyone *but* you was confused.

Matt Birkholz <birkholz@midnight.com.>