3 Questions

I have 3 problems I would appreciate help with.

1. How does TERM get set?  When bash is the login shell for a user, it
seems that TERM gets set to linux when logging in from the console.
But when I changed my shell to tcsh, TERM no longer gets set to linux
as it should.  Why?

P.S. Is there any advantage to using bash instead of tcsh?  Does bash
have all the features that tcsh has?

2. I use the following command:

# pppd -d -detach /dev/cua1 &

To establish my ppp link to uni.  However I have been finding that
often I get a message saying that this job is "done", even though the
ppp connection has not been broken at the other end.  I just run this
command again and the link is reestablished, but it is annoying the
way it just dies every now and then for no reason.  Why?

Also, why is there no "ppp-off" script included with the ppp package?

3. My machine name is "destiny", yet I cannot rlogin to my own
machine.  When I type "rlogin destiny" I get:

destiny.phillips.com.au: No route to host

I don't know why it doesn't work.  What follows is all the information
that I thought might be relevant.  I hope someone can help me.

My "hosts" file is:

127.0.0.1       localhost
192.1.1.1               destiny.phillips.com.au destiny

I have setup my resolv.conf for my uni ppp connection, namely:

domain          cc.flinders.edu.au
search          maths.flinders.edu.au cs.flinders.edu.au
stats.flinders.edu.au
nameserver      129.96.252.31
nameserver      129.96.252.46
nameserver      129.96.1.21

These nameservers are the ones at uni.

I would have thought though that doing "rlogin destiny" would use the
"lo" interface?

When I run route I get:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref Use
Iface
localhost       *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0     1
lo
annex05.cc.flin *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0     0
ppp0
default         annex05.cc.flin 0.0.0.0         UG    0      0     3
ppp0

(when not connected via ppp, I only get the first two lines).

When I run ifconfig I get:

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Bcast:127.255.255.255  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP BROADCAST LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3584  Metric:1
          RX packets:1 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
          TX packets:1 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0

ppp0      Link encap:Point-Point Protocol
          inet addr:129.96.250.55  P-t-P:129.96.250.15
Mask:255.255.0.0
          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING  MTU:552  Metric:1
          RX packets:2783 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
          TX packets:4456 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0

Does anything here seem wrong?  I can't work out why it doesn't
work as I compared it with my slackware system (which does work) and
can't see any significant differences.

Thank's in advance for your help.

Mark Phillips.  (mark@maths.flinders.edu.au)