Re: tex font problems

Susan> Hi Hakan -- You said:
>> I am having trouble with the latex font, all non normal characters like
>> \"{a}, \aa and so on does not show up in the .dvi file. Has anybody else
>> moticed this?

Susan> As far as I can tell, these are not LaTeX constructions, but TeX
Susan> constructions.  I made a silly .tex file with these lines[...]

This is not the reason. Accented characters do work in LaTeX as in
TeX. Actually the following text:

---
\documentclass{article}

\begin{document}

\"a.

\end{document}
---

does produce an umlaut on the a. The problem may come from the fact that you
use a wrong encoding (eg.: you actually typed a real "ä" using iso-latin1
and you use a US cmr font instead of using the "EURO" DC font. In this case,
and if you use LaTeX2e style as above, try using

	\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}).

So the following text will be Ok (but would'nt w/o the fontenc package).

---
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

\begin{document}

\end{document}
---

(NOTE: You will probably get an error message telling that dcr1000.mf is not
found: the Debian LaTeX DC font installation is FAULTY here (a mismatch
between the version of the DC fonts and the version of the font description
files). Try getting the last version of the DC fonts on a CTAN archive (see
below). You'll find them in

	fonts/dc/ready-mf/*

	(these files should replace all the files that are in
	/usr/lib/texmf/fonts/source/public/dc/ )

	fonts/dc/tfm/*

	(these files should relplace all files in
	/usr/lib/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/dc/)

---- CTAN Mirrors list

In order to reduce network load, it is recommended that you use the
Comprehensive TeX Archive Network (CTAN) host which is located in the
closest network proximity to your site.  Alternatively, you may wish to
obtain a copy of the CTAN via CD-ROM (see help/CTAN.cdrom for details).

Known partial mirrors of the CTAN reside on (alphabetically):
  ftp.adfa.oz.au (Australia)            /pub/tex/ctan
  ftp.fcu.edu.tw (Taiwan)               /pub2/tex
  ftp.germany.eu.net (Deutschland)      /pub/packages/TeX
  ftp.cs.ruu.nl (The Netherlands)       /pub/tex-archive
  ftp.uu.net (Virginia, USA)            /pub/text-processing/TeX
  nic.switch.ch (Switzerland)           /mirror/tex
  sunsite.dsi.unimi.it (Italia)         /pub/TeX

Known mirrors of the CTAN reside on (alphabetically):
  ctan.unsw.edu.au (NSW, Australia)     /tex-archive
  cis.utovrm.it (Italia)                /TeX
  dongpo.math.ncu.edu.tw (Taiwan)       /tex-archive
  ftp.center.osaka-u.ac.jp (Japan)      /CTAN
  ftp.ccu.edu.tw (Taiwan)               /pub/tex
  ftp.cdrom.com (West coast, USA)       /pub/tex/ctan
  ftp.comp.hkbu.edu.hk (Hong Kong)      /pub/TeX/CTAN
  ftp.cs.rmit.edu.au  (Australia)       /tex-archive
  ftp.cstug.cz (The Czech Republic)     /pub/tex/CTAN
  ftp.duke.edu (North Carolina, USA)    /tex-archive
  ftp.ee.up.ac.za (South Africa)        /tex-archive
  ftp.funet.fi (Finland)                /pub/TeX/CTAN
  ftp.gwdg.de (Deutschland)             /pub/dante
  ftp.jussieu.fr (France)               /pub4/TeX/CTAN
  ftp.loria.fr (France)                 /pub/unix/tex/ctan
  ftp.mpi-sb.mpg.de (Deutschland)       /pub/tex/mirror/ftp.dante.de
  ftp.nada.kth.se (Sweden)              /pub/tex/ctan-mirror
  ftp.rge.com (New York, USA)           /pub/tex
  ftp.riken.go.jp (Japan)               /pub/tex-archive
  ftp.tu-chemnitz.de (Deutschland)      /pub/tex
  ftp.uni-augsburg.de (Deutschland)     /tex-archive
  ftp.uni-bielefeld.de (Deutschland)    /pub/tex
  ftp.unina.it (Italia)                 /pub/TeX
  ftp.uni-stuttgart.de (Deutschland)    /tex-archive (/pub/tex)
  ftp.univie.ac.at (\"Osterreich)       /packages/tex
  ftp.u-aizu.ac.jp (Japan)              /pub/tex/CTAN
  ftpserver.nus.sg (Singapore)          /pub/zi/TeX
  kadri.ut.ee (Estonia)                 /pub/tex
  src.doc.ic.ac.uk (England)            /packages/tex/uk-tex
  sunsite.icm.edu.pl (Poland)           /pub/CTAN
  sunsite.queensu.ca (Canada)           /pub/tex-archive
  sunsite.unc.edu (North Carolina, USA) /pub/packages/TeX
  wuarchive.wustl.edu (Missouri, USA)   /packages/TeX

Please send updates to this list to <ctan@shsu.edu>.

The participating hosts in the Comprehensive TeX Archive Network are:
  ftp.dante.de  (Deutschland)
       -- anonymous ftp                 /tex-archive (/pub/tex /pub/archive)
       -- gopher on node gopher.dante.de
       -- e-mail via ftpmail@dante.de
       -- World Wide Web access on www.dante.de
       -- Administrator: <ftpmaint@dante.de>

  ftp.tex.ac.uk (England)
       -- anonymous ftp                 /tex-archive (/pub/tex /pub/archive)
       -- gopher on node gopher.tex.ac.uk
       -- NFS mountable from nfs.tex.ac.uk:/public/ctan/tex-archive
       -- World Wide Web access on www.tex.ac.uk
       -- Administrator: <ctan-uk@tex.ac.uk>