Re: gcc can't find termcap library

Bruce Perens wrote:

> Tell me where the source for "scilab" is, and I will remove its termcap
> dependence. I'm a reasonably competent ncurses programmer.
>
> Supporting two terminal management mechanisms would not be a good idea.
>
>         Bruce
I agree two terminal management would be bad. However, I want to use an
application -- GENESIS <http://www.bbb.caltech.edu/GENESIS/> which
actually crashes when using ncurses. It gets a segmentation fault in
tgetent().

The program works fine under several other UNIXs, on other Linux
distributions and even works when linked against libtermcap.a (by using
the aout development package). I have been reluctant to report it as a
bug because: a) I can't reproduce the problem with a simple test
program, b) I know nothing about terminal programming and c) I can't
answer questions about the GENESIS source.

I have been corresponding with GENESIS support but I think it is unfair
to ask them to fix what appears to be a bug in ncurses termcap
compatibility. On the other hand I doubt the program is of sufficent
general interest to warrant a special Debian version/package.

The point I am trying to make is that it may be necassary to support two
terminal packages, at least for the time being.

Thanks Evan.

PS. Although this comes across as a complaint, I think Debian Linux is
an outstanding achievment.
--
Evan Thomas
Department of Anatomy & Cell Biology