RE: Xterm and TERMCAP

Zlatko Rek wrote:

>I have problems with xterm. When it is opened the TERM and TERMCAP
environment
>variables are set to:
>
>	TERM=xterm
>	TERMCAP=co#80:li#24:
>
>I use Jed editor and if I want to edit file the "Terminal not powerful
enough
>for SLang." message appears. When TERMCAP is unset Jed works OK.

TERMCAP can be set to either the name of a termcap file (a file
containing termcap definitions for many terminals), or a literal
definition for a single terminal. In your case, TERMCAP is defined for
very nearly the dumbest possible terminal definition.

The fact that Jed works with TERMCAP unset means that it is successfully
picking up the system-wide termcap file. You need to find out where
TERMCAP is being erroneously set and unset it. It might be in your
.bash_profile (or other profile, depending on your shell), or possibly
in a system-wide set-up file, such as /etc/profile.

>Another problem is that command history keys ( up/down arrows) dont
work. Next
>or previous command is appended to the current instead of replace it.

The correct behaviour depends which shell and editing mode you're using,
and whether your particular terminal type is supported properly. Please
give details.

Casper Boden-Cummins.

_____

Dr. Zlatko Rek                      |         Phone:+386 61 177 3746
Jozef Stefan Institute              |               +386 61 177 3900
National Supercomputing Centre      |         Fax:  +386 61 219 385
Jamova 39, P.O.BOX 300              |
E-mail:zlatko.rek@nsc.ijs.si
SI-1001 Ljubljana, SLOVENIA         |         http://www2.ijs.si/~rek/