ppgplot and G77_getenv_0?

I'm trying to build the python ppgplot module (two p's) on a
Debian 2.0 (frozen) system.  I've been able to compile it, but
when I try to use the module, I get the following error:

  Traceback (innermost last):
    File "examples/tstsimple.py", line 3, in ?
      from ppgplot import *
  ImportError: /home/miller/lib/python/ppgplot.so: undefined
    symbol: G77_getenv_0

Has anyone managed to get ppgplot running on a 2.0 system?
Anyone have ideas on where G77_getenv_0 is?

Regards, Mike

--
Michael A. Miller                                miller5@uiuc.edu
  Department of Physics, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign