pcmcia driver problem

Hi,
I have succesfully installed a Debian2.0 from a CD on a laptop Toshiba
Satellite 310CDS. Then I upgraded the pcmcia*.deb file the the 4th version
(from slink) and installed the package.
Now I have a problem related to pcmcia ethernet adaptor. The error I get
is:

hsogso:/etc/init.d# ifconfig eth0 10.1.10.240 netmask 255.255.0.0 broadcast
10.1.255.255
SIOCSIFADDR: Operation not supported by device
eth0: unknown interface.
SIOCSIFNETMASK: Operation not supported by device
SIOCSIFBRDADDR: Operation not supported by device
eth0: unknown interface.
hsogso:/etc/init.d#

What can I do? Do I have to add some data to my question?

Thanks a lot,
Giuseppe