Re: Unidentified subject!

*-"Lauer, Joshua PO2" <JLauer@staportcanaveral.uscg.mil>

| Could you give me some information about kde (K desktop environment) Im
| trying to install it but I cannot get it to download onto floppies (i dont
| have floppies big enough) I just loaded debian into my x86 computer and it
| seem to load great. but I tried to PLOG and it wouldnt start my modem (lt
| winmodem) could I possibly get some info on getting my connection going so I
| can ftp the files need for KDE. Im a very novice user!!

To transport the kde debs on floppies you have to split the, put the
split parts on floppies, and put them together again on Debian. If you
download on a UNIX system you can use the command split to do the
splitting. Then you can just use cat to put them together again.

Example: cat kdebase.xaa kdebase.xab kdebase.xac > kdebase.deb

Regarding your modem: I don't know what a winmodem is, but it could
mean trouble. To set up ppp you can try pppconfig from the
package pppconfig.

You try plog, but that just gives you a log. To dial with the
modem you should use pon, pppd or something similar, depending
on your setup.

If you still can't get it to work, come back again with more details
(like: what have you done, error messages...)

--
.elOle.