Re: Help

At 07:45 PM 3/13/1999 -0600, Andrei Ivanov wrote:
># Default Modem (you better replace this with /dev/ttySx!)
>/dev/modem
>^
>|----------------This is where the problem might reside.
>What you need to is:
>a. Make a link to the COM port where your modem is and call it /dev/modem
>b. Put down the actualy COM port device here. I.e. /dev/ttyS2 for COM3
>Make sure this is what your provider file (default) looks like. You can
>correct any mistakes, and run pppconfig again.

Alternatively, do as the comment says, and instead of making a link to
/dev/modem, replace the line with the actual port your modem is on, say
/dev/ttyS2. The disadvantage to using a link (/dev/modem), is that the
system can't put a lock on the modem when it's in use, so if another
program/user tries to use the modem at the same time, you'll get a fight
between the two programs/users. If you use the actual port (/dev/ttyS2) the
system can put a lock on the modem, so if another app/user tries to use it
it'll see that the modem is already in use and won't start coughing up blood.