Re: Learning Linux

Hi,

On Mon, 1 May 2000, Steven Burns wrote:

> You and I are in the same boat.  I recently became interested in linux
> and am now trying to install Debian GNU/Linux from the CD that came
> with the book, Learning Debian GNU/Linux by Bill McCarty.
> Unfortunately, the installation program on this CD doesn't seem to
> work with my computer. I believe the most popular linux distribution
> is Red Hat Linux; just look at redhat.com.

I thought SuSE is more popular for workstations and RedHat for servers,
but presumably there are anyway no real statistics available.

> Red Hat is more automated than Debian, so the initial set up would be
> easier with Red Hat. However, Debian gives you more control and the
> chance to understand what's going on in more detail.

Most people coming from Windows world, prefer SuSE to RedHat, but I´ve
read, that Mandrake and Corel Linux are easier to handle for a newbie
than SuSE. Debian is something for people who want to jump into the cold
water and learn heavily right from the beginning. Slackware seems to be
more for hardcore people. I cannot say anything about the different
install processes on intel machines. You should have information about
your combination of hardware.

If a permanent internet line is available, the cheapest way is to
download the stuff from the corresponding ftp archive or website. If you
have a dialup line only, it is best to get a CD. The CDs coming with
computer magazines are unfortunately very often defective.

Besides that trial and error is the best way to learn about linux.

Regards,

Kerstin

--

	kerstin.hoef-emden@uni-koeln.de