Re: Sound configuration

On  1, aug, 2000 at 12:58:16 -0500, tj.herring@autozone.com wrote:
> What is the proper way to setup Sound in Debian?
>
> I have an es1371 card.  I have used modconf to select the es1371 module and
> run update-modules.  Is there anything else that is required?
>
> It seems that esound (using helixcode gnome) doesnt like my config...
> because it reports that I don't have a sound card.  (I am in the audio
> group)

I have the exact same card, Potato and Helix GNOME. It works very well.
Have tou tried to log out and then in again after joining group `audio'?
Start your mixer (`gmix' AFAIR) and see if the volume is down (but I
don't think this is the problem though).

1: What's the output of `ls -l /dev/dsp'?

   Here it's:

   crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   3 jul  5 19:44 /dev/dsp

2: What's the output of `lsmod'?

   You should see these two:

   es1371                 23872   1
   soundcore               2596   4 [es1371]

If this doesn't work, post the results of the above commands and your
dmesg.

> Is ALSA easier to use?  If  so , what packages do I install... because I
> can't seem to get the drivers installed.

Not particularly, far harder to install than to insert the modules in
the kernel IMHO.
Works fine in SuSE though, with the same card.

HTH.

HAND.
		Morten

--