Re: PIII & 2.4.0

Viktor Rosenfeld wrote:

I still find it interesting, that his bogomips count has increased by
factor 2.

Yes, me too. And in fact, I was pretty happy (at least for a while)... wow, I upgraded the kernel, and now my machine has doubled its power....

My bogomips count has always been the same on the same machine, regardless of whether I used a 2.0, 2.2, or now 2.4 series
kernel.  It has never changed it's value (apart from one or two 1/100)
on both an AMD and an Intel chip.

I have no problem with a Pentium (I) machine (the one I use); 2.2.13, 2.4.0 work perfectly. I just recently noticed that on a P III Katmai, the bogomips number doubled. I don't know whether it would make any difference on a P III Coppermine; this one, using 2.2.13, works OK.

Unfortunately, I still have the following:
okidz@bdg:~$ uname -a; /bin/more /proc/cpuinfo
Linux bdg 2.4.1 #1 SMP Fri Feb 2 09:22:53 JAVT 2001 i686 unknown
processor    : 0
vendor_id    : GenuineIntel
cpu family    : 6
model        : 7