Re: [OT] spam filtering with exim

On Sat, Mar 31, 2001 at 11:11:08PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > OK, the names and IP addresses of the other networks/hosts have been
> > changed.  mail.foo.com is hop right before reaching my mail server
> > (spider.morgul.net).  The thing is, mail.foo.com is the open relay, but
> > exim is only checking foobar.baz.com, which is not an open relay.
> >
> > How can I handle such cases?
>
> procmail?

I've begun using junkfilter, a massive procmail script available from
http://junkfilter.zer0.org .  It's pretty effective at catching spam,
and I think there's an option to use the RBL to catch open relays.

My only complaint is that each message spawns a seperate procmail
process, each of which takes about ten seconds to complete on my
P-200, and running N messages through procmail at once (i.e. after
fetching them with fetchmail) raises my process load to about N/2.
I've avoided this my putting the junkfilter at the end of my
.procmailrc instead of at the beginning, since I don't get much spam
on any of my mailing lists.

Hope that helps.

Rob

--