Re: Still problems mounting cdroms and floppies

on Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 10:25:13AM -0700, Pad Bambury (celt_086@yahoo.com) wrote:
> Hey all,
> Thanks for the advice but still getting the same
> messages.  Here's the fstab file, if anyone can see
> any problems and suggest solutions that would be
> great.
>
> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> #
> <pass> /dev/hda2       /             ext2
> defaults,errors=remount-ro 0      1
> /dev/hda8       none          swap   sw
>          0      0
> proc            /proc         proc   defaults
>          0      0
> /dev/hda5 /usr ext2 defaults 0 2
> /dev/hda6 /var ext2 defaults 0 2
> /dev/hda7 /home ext2 defaults 0 2
> /dev/hda1 /celt ext2 defaults 0 2
> /dev/hdc /cdrom iso9660 noauto,users 0 2
> /dev/fd0 /floppy msdos noauto,users 0 2

I don't recall your original post entirely, but there was a problem
accessing /dev/fd0?  I don't believe the advice above is germain.

  - Does your floppy drive seek during boot?  Is it powered on?  Do you
    have loose cabling?  Check the hardware first.

  - Do you have a /dev/fd0 file?

  - Is it a device file:

	brw-rw----    1 root     floppy     2,   0 Dec  5  1999 /dev/fd0

  - Can you read from it?  As root, with a floppy installed:

	$ dd if=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1

    ...should spew some binary garbage across your screen.  Just make
    sure that's "if".  "of" will *write* to the floppy, overwriting any
    data (and filesystem) there.

  - Do you have an entry for 'fd' in /proc/devices:

	$ cat /proc/devices
	Character devices:
	  1 mem
	  2 pty

	<...>

	Block devices:
	  2 fd
	  3 ide0

	<...>

I suspect a system configuration problem.