Re: Unidentified subject!

I bet that your /var/ directory is on /dev/hda, and when something
needs to write to a log file it has to wake that drive up.

/dev/hdc is probably just /home or /usr/local or something else that
doesn't get accessed so often, so it doesn't wake up as frequently.

Try sleeping hdc and then trying to use that disk (ls /home ; echo >
/home/test ; and so on ) and see if you get this same effect.

Rob