Re: dhcp & ip addresses

Eric,

I'm not sure if i can answer your question, but i may be able to clearify
the cable-modem issue a little. My brother has the cable modem and uses
Win2k - i did notice that getting the dynamic IP address all depended upon
his "computer" name. It appears to me that AT&T uses the host name to dish
out IPs that have accounts with AT&T. If my brother doesn't have the
proper computer name in place, he wouldn't get an IP - and thus, could not
surf.

Hope this helps,
Duane Curlee (dcboy@mdmgrmw.com)
Debian User (err... Attempter, anyway)