creating binary debs from source debs and libgtk-dev/libglib-dev conflict

Dear Debian users,

on a testing/unstable system:

1.  I wrote my own little patch for xmms.  Next, I got the xmms sources with
apt-get source xmms.  However, from the source package itself I can't
find out how to create a binary deb from the source.

- Could somebody please point me to a howto/manual that explains how to
  create binary debs from source debs?

2.  The configure script for xmms seems to indicate that I need
libgtk-dev and libglib-dev.  However, these packages conflict.  I can't
install both, and configure won't run through with only one of the two
installed.

- Has anybody had a similiar problem?

TIA

Andreas

--

GPG Keyid 0x0FCD0EE2
GPG Fingerprint C2FF 6147 0ADB 1674 4096  2339 370F CBDF 0FCD 0EE2

fortune - print a random, hopefully interesting, adage:

<knghtbrd> *snipsnip*
<rcw> oh dear, is that the sound of fortune-database editing?
<Joy> uh oh
<knghtbrd> Yes  =>